The best NFT art size varies depending on the platform, project, or display used to share the non-fungible token. For example, an nft size of 3000-pixel width and no larger than 50MB is ideal for minting art onto the blockchain via a secondary marketplace such as OpenSea or Foundation.
However, most nfts are 1080px (HD), and that’s all you need. More specifically, using 2048px by 2048px will give you a square photo for your nft art and double what’s needed for HD making it flexible across multiple platforms and social networks.
We provide a comprehensive guide showing use cases when you should use a different size and what those sizes should be to produce the best artwork. There are five different categories we looked at:
- 1. NFT Platform Size
- 2. Collection Size
- 3. Type of Art Size (Digital & Physical)
- 4. Display Size
- 5. Blockchain Size
Feel free to skip to the section that fits your needs most and how best it applies to your situation when making non-fungible tokens.
Let’s dive in:
1. Size by NFT Platform (How It’s Sold and Promoted)
While each NFT platform is different, they all have requirements and limitations nft artists should consider when selling an nft on them. However, non-fungible tokens do not have a set size itself.
We go through some famous, well-known nft platforms to determine which works best. Something worth noting is that 100 MegaBytes (MB) is equivalent to 0.1 GigaBytes (GB) of data which becomes large and expensive to mint since you have to pay for the storage.
- 1. OpenSea.io: Maximum file size of 100MB
- 2. Rarible.com: Maximum file size of 30MB
- 3. Mintable. app: Maximum file size of 200MB
- 4. Foundation.app: Maximum file size of 50MB
- 5. KnownOrigin.io: Maximum file size of 75MB (Cover Image: 25MB)
It’s highly effective to mint nft art size files with less than 30MB since you’ll be under a GB, and it’s less overall space. Also, larger file sizes do not mean there’s a quality improvement.
2. Size by NFT Project (How It’s Bought and Collected)
To confirm which dimensions make sense for collectors and creators, we looked at the top blue-chip nft projects‘ art size.
- 1. CryptoPunks: 336 px square
- 2. Bored Ape Yacht Club: 631px square
- 3. VeeFriends: 640px x 860px
- 4. World of Women: 800px square
- 5. Cool Cats: 1080px square
Most NFT collections use the dimensions to produce a square photo, such as 640 px by 860 px or 1080 px, as their preferred option.
3. Size by Type of Art (How It’s Created and Made)
The recommended pixel art size is 32 x 32 px because of how commonly used it is and how natural it feels when created with that size. However, most nft artists use the following file sizes:
- 16 x 16 px
- 20 x 20 px
- 24 x 24 px
- 32 x 32 px
- 64 x 64 px
The larger the number, the more pixeled it looks, so it depends on the style you are looking to achieve when picking a pixel art size.
One of One art:
Recommend picking any size you deem worthy since it makes the artwork unique. For example, Logan Paul’s original collection is 100% his polaroid photos turned into a digital collectible.
Polaroid photos are 3.0625 x 3.125 inches, and you can convert this into pixels by using this calculator.
Sports Trading Cards:
The recommended digital sports card collectible size is x
- Micro Size: 200 x 214 px (1 inch by 1 3/8 inches)
- Goudey Size: 238 x 288 px (2 3/8 inches by 2 7/8 inches)
- Regular Size: 250 x 350 px (2 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches)
- Mini Size: 225 x 313 px (2 1/4 inches by 3 1/8 inches)
- Big Size: 263 x 275 px (2 5/8 inches by 3 3/4 inches)
4. Size by NFT Display (How to Share With Others)
1. Physical frames
- Dimensions: 16 x 24 or 19 x 29 inches
- Weight: 13.57 or 22.3 lbs
- Display available: 21.5 or 27 inches
- Dimensions: 18 x 27 x 1.6 inches
- Weight 11.7 lbs
- Display available: 24 inches
2. Smart Frames
Lago nft frame – https://lagoframe.com/
- 33″ Display
- Edge Option: Square or Rounded
- Frame color: Charcoal or Natural
A purchase allows for also soundbar.
3. Mobile Devices
- 320×480 px (portrait)
- 480×320 px (landscape)
- 320px by 414px (portrait)
- 568px by 812px (landscape)
3. Social Media Platforms
Twitter profile picture recommends a minimum of 600 x 600-pixel images. Use a 3:1 aspect ratio, 1500px X px size and maximum file size of 5MB.
- 820 x 312 pixels (cover photo)
- 640 x 360 pixels (profile photo)
- Square: 1080px by 1080px
- Portrait: 1080px by 1350px
- Landscape: 1080px by 608px
4. TVs/Laptops or Computers
The current standard resolution is 1080p (1080 pixels in height). To achieve a pixel-perfect look, you need a resolution with a 16:9 aspect ratio of 1080p.
The aspect ratio of 16:9 (width to height ratio)
- 270p, which is four times smaller than 1080p
- 1920 x 1080 px
- 4K HD
- 4000 px
- 6K HD
- 6000 px
5. Size by Blockchain (How It’s Minted and Owned)
WAX blockchain partners with well-known gaming and collectible brands like Funko. Each NFT is resized and displayed throughout its marketplace. For example, when hovering, 360 x 360, their nfts size plays the video.
Additionally, 791 x 461 are when you click on the image. It’s likely responsive since it’s in the browser, making the image size change. However, you’ll want to produce more significant file sizes to look high quality.
Go big or Go home When Picking Your NFT Size (Size Matters)
The average nft size on a secondary marketplace is 4000 pixels (4K HD) quality to be displayed on multiple device screens without issue. It’s recommended to mint an nft using these dimensions 4000x6000JPG (saved for web legacy) 72 resolution and 9.22 MB for professional image quality.
Most nft platforms have a maximum file size supporting up to 100MB; however, keeping it under 100MB will improve faster load times.
It also allows your nft to print them on canvas or create wall art using those images because the size is large enough. When hanging wall nft art, it should take up most of the wall space, and height can be between 5.3 to 6.75 and 3 to 4 feet.